Tuesday 24 February 2009

The Face of Your Author


   Outfit photo blogs and "What Are You Wearing Today" pages on style message boards are curious beasties. Fundamentally, I believe the exercise is motivated by a sense of validation, even when the apparent intent is to share, educate or inspire. I've been semi-regularly posting 'fits' to StyleForvm for two months in the belief that I can use constructive criticism and yet I'm self aware enough to concede there's as much narcissism involved in that endeavour as there is in admitting that I'm showing my face and style on the internet because real world reactions are no longer enough

   Slightly deeper than that, I don't get all that much out of people telling me I'm stylish, as much as I always deeply appreciate a compliment. I'm only dressing for myself, after all. But being constructively challenged on my outfits is almost invaluable, even if I don't respect the critic (for whatever reason). It prompts thinking and thought is my vice and my virtue. My father, the most stylish person I know, is quite happy to call me out for clownish ensembles, and a former A-Level art student like myself has no issue with going back to the drawing board, as it were

   Committing to dressing (well, badly, whatever) is huge and if you give a damn, you need to show the proper care. Sometimes I don't care, other times I care too much. The photograph above shows me not caring (more or less - I like most pieces I wear after all) since I put it together in about 10 minutes each, avoiding the possibility of ruining the outfit with overthinking (vice)

   StyleForvm will likely see more of my outfits than this column will - there's not much of an educational or inspirational purpose in having them here at the same time - but if my face is already out there on the 'net, then it may as well be here, too

4 comments:

FineAndDandyShop.com said...

You’re quite the stylish guy!

Barima said...

Many thanks, Charles. You do well with your blog

James Jean said...

I don't think this look is over doing it....maybe b/c I'm a freak for layering myself but this is top notch man....love that cardigan by the way, reminds me of one Banana Republic had last season I missed out on

Barima said...

Thanks very much. I was certain I'd seen you in a similar cardigan before, though if you're still hunting, check Gap, Topman and eBay to start

ShareThis