Wednesday 3 June 2009

The In-Between Season

   Sometimes, seasonal dressing gets its wires crossed. It may become bright, but inexplicably cool, or humid, but overcast. And despite the unswerving heat of late, Monday still found time to have its cake and eat it by serving up some unexpected rain. Today's temperature is similarly unwieldy, but hardly a return to wintry days, nonetheless

   Still, it never ceases to amaze me how few actually check a forecast before departing their abodes for the day, which puts me in mind of a certain Forrest Gump quote, but I like to be prepared for change from above if I can help it. And one thing I am definitely a fan of is the year-round suit


One of my all-seasons suits in January 2009. The double breasted design helps to keep the heat in and the breathable, lighter worsted material helps to regulate my temperature

   Whilst on my recent sojourn in Edinburgh, an incoming graduate, about to be released into the arid desert of the current job market, made a few enquiries of me as to what kinds of suits he needed for upcoming work and where to find them. After making the usual suggestions - Reiss, Austin Reed, Suit Supply, H&M - I cautioned him: "If you can, get three. One should definitely be a reasonably warm wool, and you'll be well-timed to pick one up in August or September. But definitely buy one in the summer sales - it'll be of a lighter weight, but will keep you temperate enough well into October, at least. You need that one suit that deals well with most temperatures and can be supported with a coat, Barbour or v-neck when necessary"

   As for off-duty times, if the weather is wonky enough, as it is today, I like to throw on a wool sportcoat, slightly lighter trousers (my upper half deals with the confusion a little better) and skip the ties for a neckscarf. Because I am that sort of a man. It's much like having the best of both worlds

10 comments:

underneath said...

A true sartorialist - and very handsome to.

Better Guy X said...

Nice post. And the 6 and 4 double breasted is baaaaadd.

Barima said...

Thank you both - high praise

ADG said...

B. ....Great Blog. I'm gonna add you to my faves list. Nice.

DG

Made To Measure NY said...

Goddamn, Barima...well done on the navy outfit. Perfect all around.

Dennis Cahlo
www.madetomeasureny.com

Syed said...

Oh wow, that double breasted suit is fantastic, and I love the printed pocketsquare :) Your off-duty sportcoat has such a nice cut. I really do need in invest in more suits.

Chelsea said...

If I were a man I hope I would dress like you.

Barima said...

DG - thank you indeed. I'll keep reading and look forward to your future posts
Dennis - thanks so much. I'm lucky to have been handed down that suit, as it's pretty damn special
DK - thanks for stopping by and for your compliments. I think you'll make a great suit-wearer
Chelsea - there are operations for that sort of thing ;). But seriously, that's one of the sweetest things that's been written to me and anyone who enjoyed Lawn Dogs is alright with me

Gefundenes Fressen said...

Both of the outfits are great. Although I particularly like the combo "tweedish" sportcoat with a green pocket square.

Barima said...

Thanks, GF, I thought you might. I find it difficult to wear the sportscoat with any other square

ShareThis